Friday, October 12, 2012

And Now The Fun Begins!

It started out as another normal morning. We were leaving so the kids buckled down on their work. We packed up the RV and said goodbye to Memphis. Two hours on the road we had been doing our thing, reading, making phone calls, having some "technology time" as Kylie likes to say. I was reading the first Harry Potter book aloud....yes I did just say the first - couldn't get Ryan to want to read a fantasy book so I am force feeding it to him (and he loves it, of course!). When it felt like Tim had just driven the RV off a curb. However, we were doing 65 on Interstate 40. It was a bone jarring bump. I looked at him as if he were a complete idiot - "what did you just do?! were you not looking at the road to notice whatever giagantic thing was there that you just went flying over?!!!". None of this was uttered out of my lips but maybe a hint was being transmitted in my evil eyes as he stared back at me in shock. As if I knew what had just happened. He then put his foot back on the accelerator only to hear the engine rev and rev and rev but not go into gear. Oops, wrong again! He didn't hit anything it was just the transmission dying. Oh crap.... Then I look up to see if there is any hope of an exit and all I see are the construction cones coming up to block off the now non-existent shoulder. Flashbacks start filling my mind but I am happy to see that we may not have a shoulder but at least we have 2 lanes on our side this time! It's all about perspective :) We won't be causing an Interstate to be shut down! As we are reving away continuing to go slower and slower with our hazard lights announcing our truck's death an exit appears. Thank You God! And I can see there is somewhere to pull the truck off the road....and there is a motel across the street. I'm on the phone with roadside assistance when Tim taps me on the arm and points out the tiny RV park sign across the street and tells me there is a Ford dealership 2 miles down the road. How does that happen?!?!!! So I tell the nice man "never mind" and we gently rev poor Big Tex across the street to our new mobile home/RV park digs. Twenty minutes later Tim and Ryan drive, ever so slowly, to see what the damage is.

Ryan is excited. He is hoping to get a new truck out of this deal. All I can say for now is we have a new (borrowed) F150 and our truck is getting a new transfer case (or gear box). What comes back with Tim tomorrow is still up in the air. As fate would have it a brand new white, king ranch, 350, single axle happened to arrive on the delivery truck while Tim was there. The sales person had gone from a desperate, deflated man when Tim told him exactly what he needed to a very happy guy when he realized what had just arrived. Fortunately for us our truck is fixable so we aren't completely sitting ducks but we are definitely putting too much strain on what we've got.

And now for the best part/s....first, we had no clue but the truck is under extended warrantee. Second we had dinner at Asahi's (same name as one of our favorite restaurants in Flower Mound) and lastly, the best part of all....we are in Jackson - not Wyoming but Tennessee. All I can say is that we love Jackson! Good karma! And a Super Target is just down the road. Yippee!!!!!

Here are some pictures of our "new truck" and of our dessert Fest!

No comments:

Post a Comment